Vizlib Home Try Vizlib
Welcome
Login

Cyclic Dimensions in pivot tables

Moving from QlikView to Sense/Vizlib - our Finance users rely heavily on cyclics in the preparation of figures, with up to four cyclics in some pivot tables. I can't get rid of these tables, they have to stay the same as they're core to the business. I know that I can emulate this by creating buttons that drive dimension variables and have much the same effect. But it's not as elegant as a button on the column header, it takes up valuable screen space, and different screen sizes can make it awkward. 

1 person likes this idea
  • Hi Roger. I agree with you, Finance people are very in the cycling 

Regards

Stéphane

•  One thing to note in this regard - you can use the Alternatives option to let users set their own pivot table structures. These can then be saved using bookmarks with layout. It isn't quite the same as cyclic groups, but it fits many of the same use cases, and our users haven't complained much insofar as moving from QV to QS in this regard thanks to the Alternatives option.

• Hello Or,

Could you put an example? I do not understand what you mean.

Thanks

Regards

• 1) Add any required fields to the Alternative dimensions or measures list from the pivot table definitions (from edit mode - this is done by a developer)

Switching to a user perspective (not from edit mode, and can be done by any user):

2) Click the "Alternatives" icon in the pivot

3) Modify the structure of the pivot as desired by adding, removing, or replacing fields

4) If desired, create a Qlik Sense bookmark after finishing your edit, ensuring that "Save Layout" is toggled on. This will save the specific structure for further use (note that it also saves any selections, same as any Qlik bookmark)

• Yes, I agree that Alternative Dimensions would fit some use cases but not ours. We have requirements to be able to cycle in up to 6 dimensions simultaneously (think Chart of Accounts and similar data structures).

• We actually use alternatives for chart of accounts, among other things. It's only marginally more effort than using multiple cyclic groups, and since the result can be bookmarked, people tend to just set up the combinations they like. 

As I said, this doesn't necessarily replace cyclic groups in full, but I wanted to point you in that direction in case you hadn't considered it as an option. Perhaps Vizlib will indeed decide to add cyclic groups in the future, but this is something you can use now. 

Login to post a comment