The Custom Report is our most famous extension, bridging the gap between user and developer. It's an easy-to-use extension where you create custom tables based on data in master tables. Super users can easily structure a template that is simple and safe for everyone to use, but also extremely flexible. Users can then add and remove data from the table, moving and sorting columns without worrying about always correcting table calculations.
Please follow these steps to install the Custom Report extension on your Qlik Sense server.
- Download the latest version of Qlik Sense (QS November 2017 or higher).
- Qlik Sense Desktop - Copy all files in the .zip file to folder "
- Qlik Sense Server
- See instructions how to import an extension on Qlik Sense Server.
Figure 1 shows custom report which adapts a Sankey Chart visualization by selecting different measures and dimensions, while Figure 2 uses a Vizlib Pivot table to filter and calculate information from the data set.
If you'd like to view our Custom Report video tutorial, click here.
Figure 1: Custom Report Sankey Chart
Figure 2: Vizlib Pivot Table
You can also use Vizlib Templates to change the appearance of your custom report (Figure 3). To find out more about working with templates, please see our guide here.
Figure 3: Custom Report Appearance
Setup with Master Item Tables (Legacy, but still supported)
If you're working with Master Item tables, please follow these instructions.
- Create one or more Master Item Table(s) with the dimensions and measures you want to visualize. Important: You'll need to use the Native Table Master Item for this, rather than Vizlib Table.
- Check your measure calculations are correct regardless of which dimensions are used.
- Select Master Item in the drop-down or drag and drop it on the visualization.
Figure 4: Master Item Tables
Setup with the Data Set Creator Wizard
To use the data set creator wizard in Custom Report, follow these instructions. There's also an example shown in Figure 5.
- In the Custom Report, click to add a data set.
- In the wizard, select the dimensions and measures you would like to use. (Master items are highly recommended but not necessary.) Make sure everything that is added will be calculated correctly. With more complex applications or expression a certain combination of dimension and measure may not work, in that case they should either be adjusted or placed in separate data sets.
Figure 5: Data Set Creator Wizard
You can find our full tutorial on the Data Set Creator on our YouTube site.
Custom Report performance should be very close to the performance of a single native table in Qlik Sense. As it uses Qlik Sense native objects and hypercubes, the objects are created when you select dimensions and measures. If you feel there is a performance issue with Custom Report please see this article.
The custom report selection bar can only use one alternative state per selection bar (each list can not be separated). The setting is found here in the Appearance tab in the property panel (Figure 6).
There are some limits to custom report functionality, they're listed here to help you save time when you're working with the extension.
- Calculation conditions in master items are not respected.
- Vizlib table cannot be used as a master item, Native Table should be used instead.
- Master measure/dimension colors only in Combo chart.
- A very small (collapsed) version of the extension could look nicer.
- Export to template only works in Qlik Sense Enterprise.
- Unpublished sheets in a published app can't use Bookmarks.
- Expression labels don't work in Qlik Sense November 2017 or prior.
- Using the selection back/forward option in Qlik Sense only work one step back for the Custom Report.
- Export to image/pdf, only exports the visualization.
- Setting groups on/off and selections on/off is not stored in defaults, presets or bookmarks.