It is recommended to always set a default starting point for your Custom Report. This will be the first visualization, dimensions and measures shown when the Custom Report is opened. To activate follow these steps:
1. Choose the visualization, dimensions and measures you would like users to see when they open the Custom Report.
2. Save by pressing "Save default state".
3. If multiple data sets are used in the Custom Report. Also make sure the default data set is at the top.
Always set a default for all data sets so the user does not have to start with an empty data set. Defaults can be changed at any time by reorganizing data sets or saving a new default.
If the requirement is to set different defaults for different users we recommend using either multiple sheets or a container with multiple versions of the Custom Report depending on the user.
Note: Although the main use case is saving the visualization, dimensions and measures; the default state will also store the position of dimensions and measures and in the straight table it will even store the width of the columns.
There are two Legacy issues that might affect your solution. Please read below if you have had your solution for a while and the above is not working as you expect it to.
Old variables with stored defaults
1. Look for any CustomReport variables that contain a definition
2. Edit the variable and remove the entire definition (Just the definition, not the actual variable!)
3. Save the definition using the pen icon
4. Save the app.
Old default bookmarks in the app
If you have an old bookmark in the application with a default state. That default state can contain old variable definitions. To clean that up, create a new default bookmark with the required selections and replace the old default bookmark.