Vizlib Server is the back-end solution for anyone using on-premise (Enterprise) versions of Vizlib Collaboration and Vizlib Finance. This article shows you how to install a new instance of Vizlib Server, or run an update to your existing installation. The guide uses Vizlib Server version 1.7.1, but the instructions are valid for all versions of Vizlib Server currently available on the Vizlib user portal.
We've also used the article to create a video tutorial which you can watch here.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- Vizlib Server Installation - Setup Guide
- Download and Start
- VMC Username and Password
- Database Information
- Server Information
- Run Installation
- Activating Your License
- Next Steps - Post-Install Configuration
- Updating Vizlib Server
- Post Installation Checks
Vizlib Server Installation - Setup Guide
Download and Start
- Download the Vizlib Server Installation file from the Downloads section of the User Portal, then upload the file to your target server.
- Click to run Vizlib Server Installer with admin credentials on the target server.
- Read and accept the Terms & Conditions and click Next (Figure 1).
Figure 1: Install Start
VMC Username and Password
- The first step is to create your VMC administrator account. Enter the VMC administrator User Name and password you've creates as part of the checklist (Figure 2), then click Next.
Check: Note down your VMC username and password as they can't be recovered or re-set.
Figure 2: VMC Username and Password
- If you're creating a new database for the installation, enter the Database Port you're using, and enter and confirm your password (Figure 3), then click Next.
- If you'd like to point to an existing database, select Use existing, then enter the Hostname, Username, and Database name.
Check: Note down the database username and password you're using for the installation.
- When you've entered the information you want, click Next.
Figure 3: Database Information
- Enter the Host Name and Port, then check Serve over https to enter the SSL certificate details.
- Select the Certificate Type (PFX in this example), click Choose and navigate to the Path to PFX file, enter the Passphrase (if the certificate has one). then click Next (Figure 4).
Figure 4: Server Information
Note: We strongly recommend Vizlib Server is installed with an SSL certificate, but you can un-check Serve over https and complete the installation without one. For information on completing this kind of setup, please see our configuration reference here.
- Click Install to start the installation (Figure 5). The process should take several minutes to complete.
Figure 5: Ready to Install
- Once the installation has completed, click Finish to close the installer (Figure 6).
The VMC login page should automatically launch in your browser. If you've used the default port number, the URL should be one of the following, depending on your selection to support https in Server Information.
Figure 6: Setup Completed
Windows shortcuts for the VMC are created for HTTP and HTTPS access as the installation completes, which you can use for quick access. If the VMC login page doesn't display, please check the Vizlib Server Troubleshooting article for possible resolutions.
Activating Your License
Now that you've installed Vizlib Server, you'll need to activate your product license.
- Log in to the VMC with your username and password.
- The License file not found page should open automatically (Figure 7).
Figure 7: License File Not Found
- Enter your License key. If you haven't copied the key before the install, use the link to the user portal on the page, click Copy Key (Figure 8), then paste the key into the New License field and click Update License. You'll need to restart the server to complete the activation process.
Figure 8: License Key Information
Next Steps - Post-Install Configuration
Before you start using Vizlib Server you'll need to configure the installation, which is done using the VMC and also the Qlik Management Console (QMC). There are several configuration processes, depending on the type of environment or server you've used for the installation, and you can find all the information you need in our configuration reference here.
Updating Vizlib Server
If you already have Vizlib Server installed and want to run updates to migrate to a new version.
- Download the new version of Vizlib Server from the User Portal.
- Upload the install file to the target server.
- Run the Vizlib Server installer and restart the server when the upgrade completes.
Post Installation Checks
Once you've completed the installation or update, you can verify that Vizlib Server is installed correctly using our Post-Installation Checks.
Note: If post-install checks do not complete, please check the Vizlib Server Troubleshooting article.
If the error is still returned, uninstall Vizlib Server, but choose the option to keep the database when the program prompts you. When the uninstall process completes, start a new installation process by running Vizlib Server Installer in the Download and Start section of this article.