Vizlib Community

Submit a ticket Sign in
Welcome
Login

Suggestion: Create Timezone conversion extension

A really great new extension would be something to facilitate date/time conversions to different timezones.  I have yet to find a viable way to convert my UTC-based data to the users system timezone or way for a user to select a specific timezone they wish all dates/times converted to.

If you created a dynamic extension that did either option, including compensating for daylight savings time, it would likely sell like hotcakes!

Please consider.

•  Hey Ruth,

I'm not from Vizlib, but we had a similar requirement and were able to resolve it with native Qlik functionality:

ConvertToLocalTime(TimeStamp) - converts to local time assuming the original is in UTC.

LocalTime() - gets the local time (same as Now() but for the user's settings rather than the server's)

ConvertToLocalTime(TimeStamp,DisplayTimeZone) - let the users pick a time zone to convert to in the field DisplayTimeZone (which is marked as "Always one selected", but you could do this using a variable as well).

Not sure if this is the same as your use case or not, but figured I'd mention it in case it helps.

• Thanks for the suggestion Or.  The problem with that, however, is that you have to hard-code in a specific location or timezone you want.  Our users are all over the globe so hard-coding a specific location is not an option.  We are still looking for a way to do this but a pre-existing extension that does it all for the user would still be preferable, I think.

•  I'm not sure what you mean by  "hard coded" - this isn't hard coded, each user gets their own time zone (except in cases where we let them pick a time zone, in which case they get the one they selected).  It does have to be applied to each date individually, though.

In any case, I'm sure a more thorough solution that would do this automatically would be welcomed by those with similar needs.

Login to post a comment